Forum

Notifications

The Solar and Lunar Principles  

RSS

(@moustafa)
Admin
21/01/2020 3:08 pm  

The Solar and Lunar Principles

The world, as we know it, is held together by a law that is based on the balanced dual nature of all things (wholes, units). Among noticeable polarized pairs are: male and female, odd and even, negative and positive, active and passive, light and darkness, yes and no, true and false—each pair represents a different aspect of the same fundamental principle of polarity. And each aspect partakes of the nature of unity and of the nature of duality.

The most eloquent expression of the dual nature is present in the Ancient Egyptian text, known as the Bremner-Rhind Papyrus:

"I was anterior to the Two Anteriors that I made, for I had priority over the Two Anteriors that I made, for my name was anterior to theirs, for I made them anterior to the Two Anteriors . . ."

The universal dual nature of creation manifests itself in various applications, as identified in Ancient Egypt.

Each dualizing aspect of the creation process is represented by two divine attributes—neteru. Depending on each specific aspect, the dualizing neteru may be:

- A female and a male
- 2 females
- 2 males
- 2 halves of unisex

The significance and interplay between the solar and lunar principles is symbolized by the sun and moon.

The archetypal model of solar and lunar principles is based on the fact that all aspects of the universe follow this criteria of an original and permanent solar principle and a cyclical, changeable, and moving lunar principle. The solar principle—the source of energy, and the lunar principle that manifests/reflects this energy in the universe.Examples:

- Ra is solar creative energy and Thoth is its lunar manifestion/application

- Isis is solar generating/multiplying energy and Osiris its lunar manifestation/application.

- Horus and Thoth—represent the Cosmic Faculties
Horus represents conscience, mind, intellect, and is identified with the heart. Thoth represents manifestation and deliverance, and is identified with the tongue.

In the Ancient Egyptian traditions, the active faculties of Atam were intelligence, which was identified with the heart and represented as Horus—a solar neter (god), and action, which was identified with the tongue and represented as Thoth—a lunar neter (god).

The solar and lunar neteru stress his universal character.
In the Shabaka Stele (dated from the 8th century BCE, but is a reproduction of a 3rd Dynasty text), we read:

"There came into being as the heart (Horus), and there came into being as the tongue (Thoth), the form of Atam."

One thinks with the heart, and acts with the tongue, as described on the Shabaka Stele:

"The Heart thinks all that it wishes, and the Tongue delivers all that it wishes."

The heart and tongue are stressed repeatedly in Sufi teachings and practices.

[Excerpts from Egyptian Cosmology:The Animated Universe, third edition, by Moustafa Gadalla]

Share: